Sunday, December 7, 2014

On the Seventh Day of Christmas

Day 7 - and look, it's a Sunday! 

Many of you know that my mother was diagnosed with "Non-Specific Breast Cancer" back in early February. If not, I'll do a brief rundown. She's been a trooper since day 1. Never really let pity and doubt and worry nag at her. She had her brief "I have cancer" cry, but shrugged and said that it is what it is. She even refuses to let others pity her because of it. The only thing she could do was talk to her doctor about treatments and what they could do to fight back.
And fight back she did! Since February she has had chemotherapy and radiation and several surgeries. She had a double mastectomy (meaning she's lost the gals), but is looking forward to getting her new ones after she's finished with radiation. She even said she wanted them to be bright pink, but knows that's now how it works. 

So, back to today's photo - she's lost some hair, thanks to chemo, but that's normal. She found a photo of an older woman who lost her hair to cancer as well and had knit herself some hair. After posting the photo to my page and a strong hint, I did some searching myself. And I found a cute pattern, pictured below. And of course, I've got to make it in different colors so that she can wear a different "wig" every day of the week!
I've made a blue one as well, but didn't grab a photo of it at Thanksgiving, which is when I had made it. She loves it, and that's all that matters to me. :) Makes me super happy.
She can be a natural blonde now!
This paid pattern Funny Halloween Pink Wig Crochet Pattern can be found at Ravelry, of course. It says it's a "Halloween" wig, but you could totally wear it at any point of the year! I may even make a wig for myself to wear this winter and surprise some of the students I sub for! Wouldn't that be fun?

If you make some "hair" for a friend or family member of your own, send me some photos! I'd love to see the crazy colors y'all come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment